MAS Launches 2006 Year of Dog Chinese Almanac Coins
Singapore, 18 November 2005...The Monetary Authority of Singapore (MAS) launched the 2006 Year of the Dog Almanac Coins and the Uncirculated Coin Set (5-cent to $5).
2006 Year of the Dog Coins
2. The coins are part of the third series of Chinese Almanac Coins designed by Mr Xu Yunfei of Shanghai Mint. Inspired by Chinese calligraphy, the animal is symbolised by the Chinese character of the "Heavenly Stems and Earthly Branches".
3. The 2006 $10 Silver Piedfort Proof Coin features the dog in full colour with a colourful peony flower. The peony is a traditional Chinese symbol of blessings and festive cheer.
4. A unique 8-sided floral-shaped ingot is included for selected premium sets. The ingot features a painting of a pair of Pomeranian dogs by renowned local artist Mr Choo Keng Kwang. The obverse of the coin bears the Singapore Arms with the year 2006.
Limited Worldwide Mintage
5. The coins will be issued on Thursday, 29 December 2005. The details of the coins are:
a) $200 Gold Proof Coin
5 troy ounce of 999.9 fine gold. Very limited mintage of 200 pieces. Issue price: $6,950 (GST inclusive).
b) $100 Gold Proof Coin
1 troy ounce of 999.9 fine gold. Mintage of 3,000 pieces. Issue price: $1,399 (GST inclusive).
c) $5 Gold Proof Coin
¼ troy ounce of 999.9 fine gold. Mintage is limited to 5,000 pieces. Issue price: $348 (GST inclusive).
d) $1 Gold Brilliant Uncirculated Coin (please see picture below '$1 Gold Coin')
With a diameter of only 7 mm and weighing only 0.3 gm, it is the smallest 999.9 gold coin in the world. The coin is housed in a card featuring a painting of a pair of Pomeranian dogs by Mr Choo Keng Kwang - " ". Limited mintage of 5,000 pieces. Issue price: $38.70 (GST inclusive).
e) $25 Silver Proof Coin
Minted in 5 troy ounce of 999 fine silver, this is the largest coin issued by MAS. Very low mintage of 250 pieces. Issue price: $388 (GST inclusive).
f) $10 Silver Piedfort Proof Colour Coin (please see picture below '$10 Silver Coin')
The dog is featured on this coin in full colour, with a peony incorporated on its body. Double the thickness of an ordinary coin. 2 troy ounce of 999 fine silver. Mintage is 30,000 pieces. Issue price: $99.90 (GST inclusive).
g) $2 Silver Proof Coin
20 gm 999 fine silver. Mintage of 6,000 pieces. Issue price: $50 (GST inclusive).
h) $2 Cupro-Nickel Proof-Like Coin
Proof-like condition and mintage is based on demand. Issue price: $16.80 each (inclusive of 5%GST).
6 The Lunar Dog Coins are also available in premium sets: -
a) 3-in-1 Coin Set
Consists of a 1 troy ounce 999.9 gold proof coin, a 2 troy ounce 999 silver piedfort coloured coin, a cupro-nickel proof-like coin and a floral-shaped ingot.
The gold coin in the 3-in-1 coin set is engraved with a serial number matching the accompanying certificate of authenticity. Only 1,000 sets would be sold. Issue price: $1,800 (GST inclusive).
b) 5 Troy Ounce Lunar Series Coin Set
Consists of a 5 troy ounce 999.9 fine gold proof coin and a 5 troy ounce 999 fine silver proof coin. They are displayed to form the auspicious figure "8". Each coin set comes with a serialised certificate. Only 88 sets are available. Issue price: $7,900 (GST inclusive).
c) 2-in-1 Coin Set
Consists of a 2 troy ounce 999 fine silver piedfort proof coin, a cupro-nickel proof-like coin and a floral-shaped ingot. Limited to 3,000 sets only. Issue price: $168 (GST inclusive).
d) Lunar Pack
Comprises a cupro-nickel proof-like coin and a cashcard featuring a puppy in gold with a calligraphic depiction of the Chinese word "dog" with the Chinese characters " " (referring to the loyalty of dogs). 10,000 sets are available. Issue price: $31 (GST inclusive).
2006 Uncirculated Coin Set (5¢ to $5)
7. This consists of 5¢, 10¢, 20¢, 50¢, $1 and a 8-sided scallop-edged $5 coin with a latent image of the year-date '2006' and the MAS logo. The set is presented in a Hongbao pack featuring a dog money bank to encourage the virtue of saving. At the side of the set is an auspicious Chinese blessing " " Issue price: $16 (GST inclusive).
Dog Almanac Coin Single ez-link Card
8. The Dog Almanac Coin Single ez-link Card features the coin design and Mr Choo Keng Kwang' masterpiece of two Pomeranian dogs with an auspicious Chinese saying " ". Each ez-link Card is priced at $16 (GST inclusive).
Sale of Coins
9. The coins will be sold by The Singapore Mint. Details of the sale and order for the coins will be published in The Straits Times and Lianhe Zaobao on 19 November 2005.
10. Order forms can be obtained from the Singapore Mint's retail shops at
- The Singapore Mint Coin Gallery
20 Teban Gardens Crescent, Singapore 608928
Tel: 6566 2626
- Coin City, Starhub Centre
51 Cuppage Road, #01-07, Singapore 229469
Tel: 6339 0886
Orders can also be placed via Internet at www.mint.com.sg.
11. For priority allocation, orders must reach The Singapore Mint by 18 December 2005. Order forms can be sent to the above outlets or faxed to The Singapore Mint at 6565 2626 or 6567 2626 or 6665 1413. For enquiries, you can contact The Singapore Mint at Tel: 6566 2626 / 6895 0386 / 6895 0383 during office hours.
(a) (b) (c)