- Early detection of misconduct and breaches of laws.
- Effective deterrence.
- Shaping business and market conduct.
How MAS protects investors and upholds market integrity:
|Counter potential market through broker engagement||
Brokers are the best party to manage any suspicious trading activities as they can take action to impose restrictions on customers, suspend accoutns and off-board customers.
Objectives of broker engagement:
|Using Augmented Intelligence to detect market manipulation||
|Detect financial advisory misconduct proactively||Large data sets are combined to identify potential misconduct cases using data analytics. This enables MAS to detect and investigate wrongdoings early, so that timely enforcement action can be taken against errant representatives.|
|Leverage data analytics to enhance supervisory effectiveness||
MAS uses data analytics to sharpen and intensify AML/CFT supervision over FIs and activities with higher ML/TF risks.
The enforcement priorities in 2019/2020 are:
- Timely adequate disclosure of corporate information for better investor protection.
- Reviews and assessments of AML/CFT controls in financial institutions.
- Business conduct of financial advisers and its representatives.
- Surveillance and investigations into suspected insider trading.
- Tightening of internal controls to detect and deter market abuse.