Reinsurer : Apply for Licence
Applicants need a licence to carry on life and/or general reinsurance business in Singapore.
MAS assesses applications for life and/or general reinsurance licences using these criteria:
- Domestic and international rankings of the applicant by factors such as premiums and assets.
- Past and present credit ratings by international rating agencies, including Standard and Poor's, A.M Best, Moody's and Fitch.
- Track record, financial soundness and reputation of the applicant, including the applicant’s compliance with its home regulations. In assessing this criteria, MAS will consult the applicant's home supervisory authority.
- Well-developed business strategy and detailed plans that reflect the risk profile of the business.
- Robust risk management systems and processes that are commensurate with the size and complexity of the licensee.
- Fitness and propriety of the licensee, any director or key executive person, all of its substantial shareholders, and all persons having effective control of the licensee.
Before You Apply
Before submitting a formal application, you are encouraged to contact the Insurance Department of MAS about your plans.
How to Apply
It will take approximately typically 6 to 8 weeks after we receive the complete application to process and approve an application. As each application will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis, processing time depends on the circumstances of each application and the completeness of the information submitted.
Ensure that your application is complete, correct and accompanied by the requisite supporting documents